Thursday, April 8, 2010

Blessing of the Easter Baskets.

Over the years, I've always been amazed at what I manage to put together on Easter Saturday.
I have been attending the blessing of the Easter baskets for many years.
Some years I managed a few eggs , bread, and my "butter lamb" in a plastic basket.
Of late, with my mantra, "use what you have and what you know" , I am truly amazed at what I can put together.
My grandmother of Polish dissent was faithful to the traditions.
I have made some modern adaptations.
I emptied the basket that was sitting in my kitchen, I found the flowers left over from my anniversary party.
I didn't have any bread ready, but I added Pillsbury crescent rolls.
There was a ham, horseradish, wine, vinegar, the Lamb of butter, the eggs, the candle,oh, and a bag of pizza dough!
I had the names of all of my family on one egg.
I used the horseradish and eggs to make deviled eggs for the meal and we passed the plate wishing health and happiness.
The vinegar was used in the coleslaw.
I was a lovely meal with my husband and two of my sons.
The preparation set me in a spirit to contemplate what it must have been like for the women
who left Jesus in the tomb to go prepare for the passover.
This unthinkable horror had just befallen them,
and yet they return to faith and tradition,
to recall the Faithfulness of Yaweh,
to his chosen ones.
in this Holiest of Seasons,
Shalom.

No comments: